Ducks for Starters – A practical guide to backyard duck keeping
A new book from us. A reprint of a very old one, actually. Ducks For Starters – A practical guide to backyard duck keeping by Bruce Wicking was first published way back in 1990. We thought this little book worthy of a reprint, so as a result, here it is.
Bruce Wicking both entertains and informs us in the down-to-earth style reminiscent of his earlier books about teaching. From hatching ducklings to bad smells. Bruce gives backyard duck keeping advice with characteristic enthusiasm.
Finally, Ducks for Starters is not only a delight to read, it is a most worthwhile companion for anyone thinking of keeping a small flock. You can keep ducks for eggs, meat, as pest exterminators or just pets.
“My sister-in-law presented me with a Muscovy drake and four ducks of various ages. I shut them in the only available enclosure, the chicken pen. Consequently, by next morning they had emptied the hens water bucket, trampled on two eggs. The drake was also eyeing off several young pullets. It was time to seek enlightenment.”
- 1 WHAT SORT OF DUCKS – THE MUSCOVY / THE KHAKI CAMPBELL / DUAL-PURPOSE DUCKS / KEEPING A MIXED FLOCK
- 2 Housing – NATURAL SHELTER / FENCES / LAYING SITES / FLOORS, SMELLS AND OTHER THINGS
- 3 feeding – FEEDING DUCKLINGS / FEEDING ADULTS / FATTENING / SHELLGRIT / FEEDING AFTERTHOUGHTS
- 4 WATER – THE VITAL ELEMENT / RECEPTACLES / THE POND / HYPOTHERMIA IN DUCKLINGS
- 5 RAISING DUCKLINGS – GENETICS / HATCHING MUSCOVIES / SITTING / THE EVENT / HATCHING KHAKI CAMPBELLS /WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO / THE CLUCKY CHOOK / THE MUSCOVY AS MOTHER / POST HATCHING
- 6 HATCHING IN THE INCUBATOR – THE EGG SETTING / THE INCUBATOR / TESTING, DAMPING AND TURNING / HATCHING IN THE INCUBATOR / FEEDING / PROBLEMS / HOUSING THE MOTHERLESS BROOD
- 7 OF MANY THINGS – SEXING DUCKLINGS / A BIRD FOR THE TABLE / COOKING / CATCHING AND HANDLING / TRANSPORTING / SICKNESS AND INJURY / WITH YOUNG CHILDREN
You can order from Amazon.com here.